Heathers and Monetary Theory

My wife and are big aficionados of Netflix, and lately we've been catching up on some "classics" that at least one of us hadn't yet seen (e.g. Risky Business and Ferris Bueller's Day Off). The other day we watched Heathers (Wynona Rider, Christian Slater, Shannen Doherty).

As I thought the first time I saw it, it had such promise in the beginning but then went in a direction for which I did not care. I thought J.D. was so damn cool when he fired those blanks at the football guys, but I thought he was so damn evil when he...(well, I don't want to spoil anything).

Anyhow, my worst disappointment was when Wynona Rider's character asks him the lunchtime survey question: "You've just inherited $2 million, but aliens land and will blow up the world in 2 days. What do you do?"

The suave J.D. says, "That's got to be the stupidest question I've ever heard." So at this point, I thought he had read Ludwig von Mises The Theory of Money and Credit. J.D. then goes on to say that he'd paddle out into the middle of a lake and strum his guitar or something poetic and sexy like that.

But what I kept waiting for him to point out was: WHO THE HECK IS GOING TO ACCEPT YOUR MONEY IF THE WORLD IS GOING TO END IN 2 DAYS?!?! I mean, nobody's response to the poll was, "Well, I dunno what I'd do, but if I were scheduled to work on those days I guess I'd have to do that..."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Libertarians, My Libertarians!

"Machine Learning"

"Pre-Galilean" Foolishness