Patrick Deneen on Why Corporations Are On-Board with the Sexual Revolution

Here:

"There is a deeper reason for corporate support, however. ­Today’s corporate ideology has a strong affinity with the lifestyles of those who are defined by mobility, ethical flexibility, liberalism (whether economic or social), a consumerist mentality in which choice is paramount, and a 'progressive' outlook in which rapid change and 'creative destruction' are the only certainties."

This point cannot be stressed strongly enough: markets are great things, within limits. But it is absolutely incredible that anyone minimally educated in philosophy could recommend such a deranged idea as "markets without limits," except that such an idea will gain great financial support from corporate sponsors, since such derangements will maximize their corporate profits.

Recently, I noted this point online, and one of the authors of the above deranged work asked me if I had any "arguments" for rejecting such an insane concept as "X without limits." My response, I admit, was a bit snarky, but it pointed that there was a work by one Airy Stotle called "Nick you a makin' me ethics" that might provide such arguments.

Comments

  1. Gene, why no link to the Deneen piece?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recently, I noted this point online, and one of the authors of the above deranged work asked me if I had any "arguments" for rejecting such an insane concept as "X without limits." My response, I admit, was a bit snarky, but it pointed that there was a work by one Airy Stotle called "Nick you a makin' me ethics" that might provide such arguments.

    It would be nice if, given your posts on Aristotlean moderation and balancing various goods, you could revisit this ten year-old post on the "Golden Meanies".

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Libertarians, My Libertarians!

"Machine Learning"

"Pre-Galilean" Foolishness